Let's Start at the Beginning...

Introduction

My name is Katie Ahmadzai.   I am originally from Batesville, AR, a small town of around 10,000 people.   Both sides of family have a rich history in the field of education (and at the University of Arkansas), but I honestly never thought that I would become a teacher when I was in high school.  I loved math and science, but I felt that I could never relate to high school students well, so I decided to study engineering in college.

During the second year of my engineering program, my professors pulled me aside after class one day and asked why I wanted to be an engineer.  I replied that I loved math and science, and I was good at it, so I had decided that I could impact the world for good by becoming an engineer.   They asked me to consider teaching.   I must admit that I was a bit offended.   It must have shown in my face because they immediately followed up by saying they didn't want me out of the engineering program, but I should start thinking about the process it would take to become an engineering professor.  However, they also mentioned that I might want to use my background to teach at the high school level.

Due to illness during my junior year, I was forced to withdraw from college, and I took the time to reconsider teaching.   Because my passion was in the area of math and science, I wanted to be sure that I also had a degree in one of these areas.   I found that Lyon College, in my hometown, is one of the few colleges where I would get my degree in my subject area, but also be able to study to receive a concentration in secondary education as well as my teaching certificate.   So I graduated with a B.A. in mathematics and my concentration in secondary education in the spring of 2003.

Since I graduated, I have taught math in a rural school in Georgia, an international high school in Kabul, Afghanistan, and I now teach math and mentor teachers in curriculum development for an international online school.   During the past 15 years, my life has changed tremendously - from single without a care in the world, to married (to a wonderful husband from Afghanistan) with three children ages 6 month - 8 years old. 
 

However, one thing has not changed.   I still have the same amazing feeling when I am working with a student who finally experiences a "light bulb moment."    I am an introvert, but interactions with students and teachers related to learning bring me so much life and energy.

So why am I starting this blog?

I must admit that over the past few years, I have come to realize the importance of reflecting on what I am learning (metacognition), and I constantly talk about it with my students.  However, I have not had a consistent, structured way of reflecting on my learning.   As such, I would like this blog to be a written record of my reflections as I learn more about digital media and educational technology.    I want to be sure to address how the skills and tools that I am learning can be implemented well in the online class environment, specifically in the mathematics subject area. 

I also want to always be on the lookout for technologies that can truly enhance learning across the globe.   I still have strong ties to Afghanistan, where many students (particularly girls) find it difficult to attend school after elementary grades.  Security makes it difficult for many to leave their homes, even in the capital city of Kabul.   Therefore, I am always on the lookout for tools that could be used to create a meaningful learning environment for those hungry to learn but find themselves with barriers to reach their goals.   So don't be surprised if some of the discussions here pull together some technology tools that could greatly impact others around the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Educational Materials Accessible to All

Creating a Podcast

Creating a Screencast